Tuesday, January 10, 2006

An honest breeze from the pulpit

Congrats to Thibodaux, Louisiana priest Jim Morrison for coming out to his parish and college student ministry in response to the Vatican document restricting gay men from seeking ordination. Not only did he come out to parishioners, he had to come out to his parents and siblings first.

In his own words: "I have come to realize that while I was encouraging others to be honest, I was not putting these words into practice in my own life."

Ah, integrity. Refreshing, isn't it? And guess what? The world didn't collapse. The parish appreciated his honesty and faithfulness to his promise of celibacy, and the diocese continues to value his ministry.

I'll take 1,000 more, please. And maybe a couple of bishops, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home